A draft of the charter for the proposed cemetery was read and approved at a meeting held in January of 1885. In accord with this charter, The Citizens Cemetery Association would offer cemetery services, and its business would be transacted in Johnstown, Cambria County, Pennsylvania. Theirs would be a perpetual corporation, holding no capital stock, and neither making profit nor offering dividends. Fifty subscribers, each paying the sum of $50 would form the initial association membership.
By the end of January, fifty names had been secured. They would be the initial subscribers of The Citizens’ Cemetery Association. Member of the Association would have one vote on matters brought before the membership. The Association would be managed by a Board of Trustees, consisting of seven members. The Board was prohibited from incurring any debt beyond $20,000, and that debts was to be incurred only for the “. . . purchase and improvement of ground for the cemetery and ways and roads thereto. . . .” The charter further directed that when all debts of the corporation are secured, at least one-half of annual revenue would be invested in government, state or municipal loans of real-estate securities, with all proceeds to be reinvested in the cemetery’s “. . . protection, care, decoration, and maintenance. . . forever.”
In September of 1886, Charles L. Miller, of Philadelphia was selected to be the landscape architect for the project. By years’ end, rules and regulations for the cemetery had been developed and approved, and title forms for the plots to be offered had been prepared for public offer.